by Lianne Thomas
on Tuesday, December 10th, 2019 at 7:53am.
Do you consider yourself a Port A local? Or maybe you’re thinking about moving to Port Aransas in the near future to one day call Port Aransas home? Either way, here are a few little known facts about our lovely little island...
1. Port Aransas is the only established town on Mustang Island. Mustang Island is an 18 mile long barrier island, and Port Aransas takes up 5 of those miles.
2. The annual Average temperature in Port Aransas is a nice and warm 71.5 degrees.
3. Port Aransas is a college town! It’s home to the University of Texas Marine Science Institute.
4. Port Aransas makes a nice road trip to get out of the big city. It is exactly 180 miles southeast of San Antonio, Texas.
5. You don’t have to pay to see dolphins. There’s a free park called Robert’s Point Park where you can sit on the bulkhead, feet away from dolphins and watch them play.
6. Port Aransas was a location of pirates In the early 19th century. Today, a large pirate ship known as the “Red Dragon” is available for adventurous pirate cruises for fun, family entertainment.
7. In Port Aransas, there are 5 nature preserves that feature hike and bike trails and birdwatching.